Thursday, August 14, 2014

This is my experience and outcomes with starting a LGBTQ Pride Alliance in the rural conservative community, Douglas County NV.


The Idea
Of course I could see myself doing this kind of work when starting my job with a non profit. After I was introduced to another like minded community worker we approached the thought slowly. Eventually the thought was pursued and faced with challenges. One being "coming out", basically I didn't tell anyone at work about this idea as I am a part time youth advocate but I wanted to merge my passions so I spoke. I got loads of support from my supervisor only one of my coworkers questioned the "purpose" of this group. As in do we need this stuff in our community? Which to be honest made me upset I got teary eyed in responding to his wondering the purpose. Couldn't the purpose be for the kids that tell us about the mistreatment of their or their friends sexual identity?! I just didn't understand who would question this idea. Until I told some friends about it who again challenged the purpose. I was told, "whats the point in labeling yourself it limits you." And that is the whole point people still think it is a limitation to be gay and "only looking for love within your same sex". My idea is to get the word out that choosing to identify and be proud is not a bad thing. I want the youth to know what we see on t or media related to equality and gay issues go could be achieved in our small town also.




No comments:

Post a Comment